rebout vids up at gamespot (surprisingly looking quite good)!

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
here

looking surprisingly nice considering the pics from yesterday.

94 gameplay seems intact.

the 3d bg that choi fights in front of looks cool with lots of ppl in the bg and the rotating effect.

notice the blood? what are the chances there will be some sort of "no blood in the us version" debacle?

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
The vids look pretty nice, although the quality of the vids is rather low. The still pics look nice, as well. I'll probably grab a copy, with me and my fanboy ass ... :D.

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
Brand-new redrawn sprites make me ejaculate continuiously. Hope has officially been restored.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Shirt in a Can said:
Brand-new redrawn sprites make me ejaculate continuiously. Hope has officially been restored.

The bg in that first vid makes me dizzy. Damnit, I might be forced to sit this out.

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
Nice, I feel alot better about this game after seeing that. :D Looks like we will all be laying down alot of cash to SNKP in the near future.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Iori is in the BG :( (from first vid)

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
nazi muerto abono pa mi huerto said:
anda maxima , juhn , kaede, ash...

those vids are ok , now i really hope ther will be the original backgrounds as a secret or something...

I don't know, I do and I don't. The redrawn sprites on the old BGs would look pretty stupid, I think.

I can't tell from the steaming vid that I did, but the sprites didn't seem that much different. They sure didn't add any frames of animation, and they literally went over the old ones and just redid them and nothing more. That's much better than nothing, for sure. I was hoping that they would have used the new Lucky and Heavy D sprites, however. I'm such a begger and a chooser. Still, high res sprites are welcome, and I can't wait to buy this.

Spike

FrostbayneAucti

Tung's Hair Stylist
Wow, that is amazing! They've got nearly 15 frames of animation per second!

Shifting things all the way to 3rd Gear!!!

sQuareh4t3r

formerly "sQuareh4t3r", then "MacGuffin", now "sQu
Is that blur effect when the characters jump part of the game, or just a result of really crappy video capture? I hope it's not supposed to be there...

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
I dunno if these are redrawn, just look way touched up, maybe they re-did the face some cause they have a lot more detail there.j

Scaled up, filtered, then edited. Doesn't look terrible though, just hope they fix all the BS w/ 94 and it'd be worth it.

SwordPlay

Crossed Swords Squire
Looks like CvS2 with KOF94 gameplay.

Not much to go on so far, but I'm excited by what I've ssen.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C

Setsuna1982

World Her,
isn't easier to redrawn the original 2d backgrounds in a similar fashion of that in NGBC than making new crappy 3d bg's?

FrostbayneAucti

Tung's Hair Stylist
Ok guys, this is BS. The fewer frames of animation on the 24 bit neo mvs is acceptable, on playstation, it's just not. It's overly pixelated, there should be actual particle effects on the fire, etc etc etc. I realize that the play is most important, but there is really no excuse for this except that it's a lot cheaper to just clean it up a little and ship it.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
My complaint is the same as the rest, no noticeable change in the framerate.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Those vids look awesome to me. I'm no longer upset about this. I might just have to get a sexy new ps2 just for all the ports coming out. Unless of course they're to be on xbox live in the states. :buttrock: Thank you beelze.

FrostbayneAucti

Tung's Hair Stylist
SnairDogg said:
Those vids look awesome to me. I'm no longer upset about this. I might just have to get a sexy new ps2 just for all the ports coming out. Unless of course they're to be on xbox live in the states. :buttrock: Thank you beelze.

My problem is, you wanna port the legend of zelda to game cube exactly as it was in the 8 bit days and charge 20 bucks, fantastic. But the very second that you add even one more frame of animation or clean up a sprite, or charge 50$ then taking it from 8 bit to 16 bit is unacceptable. If you are charging the same price as a game made with 128 bit technology (suprise) you should be USING that technology.

What this is is a cash grab. You spend 10 percent of what you would on the a regular game because you port it, clean it up a bit and ship it, relying on the fans to buy anything with an SNK logo on it. Thats a crappy way to treat fans who stayed with the company for like 14 years.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
FrostbayneAucti said:
My problem is, you wanna port the legend of zelda to game cube exactly as it was in the 8 bit days and charge 20 bucks, fantastic. But the very second that you add even one more frame of animation or clean up a sprite, or charge 50$ then taking it from 8 bit to 16 bit is unacceptable. If you are charging the same price as a game made with 128 bit technology (suprise) you should be USING that technology.

What this is is a cash grab. You spend 10 percent of what you would on the a regular game because you port it, clean it up a bit and ship it, relying on the fans to buy anything with an SNK logo on it. Thats a crappy way to treat fans who stayed with the company for like 14 years.

How true, it seems like death not to revamp KOF '94's obvious weaknesses. The smart route for a '94 remake would've been using 98' sprites and forward with smoothed out graphics as in "Rebout". Keep the original '94 backgrounds & make 'em quasi 3-D like the forthcoming PS2 KOF 2003 Finally, give each fighter the ability to select each year's KOF moves & or advanced or ex modes.

But come on, using '94 sprites with crap anatomy, & stiffy animation is why Capcom's Dan was a poke at SNK. I need a beer to calm me.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
FrostbayneAucti said:

Heh, I'd love to have been around you each year KOF came out.

FrostbayneAucti

Tung's Hair Stylist
SonGohan said:
Heh, I'd love to have been around you each year KOF came out.

Well, it's different in my opinion when you're working with 24 bit hardware, there are certain limitations. I'm fine with that. But this isn't the special olympics and I'm not going to rubber stamp with my "AWESOME!!!" stamp every game SNK produces justs because I DESPERATELY want them to succeed.

SNK-Playmore is a company looking to compete in one of the biggest industries in the world (bigger than the movie industry now) and they can't slide forever on the fantastic games they made in the past. If you make a 128 bit game and want to charge me 128 bit prices don't release a 32 bit game.

Especially since they are using 2d those sprites should be POLISHED and sharp, with a TON of animation.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
FrostbayneAucti said:
Well, it's different in my opinion when you're working with 24 bit hardware, there are certain limitations. I'm fine with that. But this isn't the special olympics and I'm not going to rubber stamp with my "AWESOME!!!" stamp every game SNK produces justs because I DESPERATELY want them to succeed.

SNK-Playmore is a company looking to compete in one of the biggest industries in the world (bigger than the movie industry now) and they can't slide forever on the fantastic games they made in the past. If you make a 128 bit game and want to charge me 128 bit prices don't release a 32 bit game.

Especially since they are using 2d those sprites should be POLISHED and sharp, with a TON of animation.

Sorry, but it all boils down to one thing: effort. SNK hasn't been very productive since the early 90s. KOF in itself has always been about rehashing graphics with little tweaks, and this is really no different except that I think they're putting more effort in resizing and polishing each and every frame in the game than they've done with any KOF followup.

Your analogy between hardware and price charging is grasping at straws. The Street Fighter Collection and Mega Man Anniversary aren't 128bit games, but they're well worth the price. There's already plenty of 128bit games that make full use of the hardware capabilities saturating the market right now, and you're going to complain about this one that's basically a fan-service?

This isn't SNK of the early 90s. Don't expect to see several games released per year with totally different sprite changes. I'll agree that they're lazy, and that nobody should just 'rubber stamp' an awesome for each game that comes out, but let's bring a real argument to the table. Where you bitching when the KOF double pack was released at $40? I know I wasn't. Why? Because even though they're 16bit games on a 128bit system, they're still some of the best games you can find in this over-saturated market of bland games.