SNK-P, 3D Metal Slug confirmation and "All future fighting games will be online."

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
battle colosseum online, sounds sweet! i may have to get xbox live finally.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Fighting games online = sweetness.

Personally, I not only think Metal Slug 3D is a good idea, but I think its a necessary step in evolving the series. The 2D ones have just felt stuffy and blah with 4 and 5, and I think this will serve as a breath of creative fresh air for the series.

I'll give a 3D metal slug a chance but all I know is that I have what's good, and what is good is owning MS1,X,3,4,&5...

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Online fighters WITHOUT MAJOR LAG is great.

Shame on you GGXX#R :shame:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Well I'm sure I'll play the 3D metal slug, but all I can think right now is the horrors that Contra suffered on the PSX.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I think that the first 3D Metal Slug will be the final nail in the coffin. I try to remain open about series making the jump to 3D, but the Metal Slug series just doesn't have a chance of making the transition, IMO.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
galfordo said:
I think that the first 3D Metal Slug will be the final nail in the coffin. I try to remain open about series making the jump to 3D, but the Metal Slug series just doesn't have a chance of making the transition, IMO.

Agreed, yet the very same point was just as valid for the KOF series itslef.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
all online fighting is simply amazing. Damn I'm going to have to get an X-box now :crying: But hell now i can woops some ass in SNK games world wide! hehehe

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
The online games will be great, that's for sure. It won't beat going to the arcade and playing next to the person, but since everybody wants out of the Arcade business i guess it's better then nothing. Just work out the lag issues and we'll be fine.

On Metal Slug going 3D, I'm willing to give anything a chance. Hopefully they will make a good 3D action game that will live up to the Metal Slug name.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
galfordo said:

I used to think the same thing, but after Metroid, which at its core is fundamentally proprietary to 2D in almost every way, made its very successful jump to 3D with Prime, I'm very much convinced that any 2D series can make the transition successfully provided there's a talented and dedicated team behind it. KOF:MI proves that there is quite a bit of talent in SNKP's 3D department, even if it is rather raw and unrefined in certain ways, but I have faith that they can pull it off. I'm pretty sure they have a good idea on how to do it well, otherwise the project wouldn't have been green-lighted considering what's at stake.

To me, its less a question of "if", and more a question of "how".

Ill6

Marked Wolf
Well if its 3d in a FPS kind of way then no - theres millions of them already
If its 3d in a kind of 2.5d way then yes - thats a good thing (Contra Shattered Soldier style).

SwordPlay

Crossed Swords Squire
All their fighters are already online.

What's the difference now? We can lag via X-Box's instead of PC's?

w00t...?

Last edited:

Curt

apostate
Metal Slug Needs to Remain atleast PARTLY 2D

The Game simply would not work in FULL 3D... it would be absolute garbage.

The game needs to be 3d, on One Plane, with 3d Backrounds...(2.5D)

Also another interesting thing could be to use a 3d backround, with Flat Drawn, hi-res sprites... ala paper mario....

Just a thought....

Ill6

Marked Wolf
CurtWRX said:
Metal Slug Needs to Remain atleast PARTLY 2D

The Game simply would not work in FULL 3D... it would be absolute garbage.

The game needs to be 3d, on One Plane, with 3d Backrounds...(2.5D)

Also another interesting thing could be to use a 3d backround, with Flat Drawn, hi-res sprites... ala paper mario....

Just a thought....

I would like to see SNK using 3d in an inovative way - e.g. Paper Mario as above or Viewtiful Joe to preserve the original style.

SNZero

Mr. Big's Thug
RIP for MS.
The only way i can see MS working in 3D is if the game is in a 3D style but the gameplay is still 2D (Dolphin Blue style). If they make it some generic 3rd person shooter tho, its gonna suck. Theres enogu haround already.
I hope online play comes to the PS2 now its got a modem etc (the new PSTwo has a built in modem right?)

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
We need a MS with hi-res cartoony graphics, a la Viewtiful Joe, not 3D.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Verythrax said:
We need a MS with hi-res cartoony graphics, a la Viewtiful Joe, not 3D.

I got news for you, Viewtiful Joe is a 3D game.

There aren't any sprites there, only cel-shaded 3D models.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
JHendrix said:
I got news for you, Viewtiful Joe is a 3D game.

There aren't any sprites there, only cel-shaded 3D models.

Don't be a smartass, you know what I talking about.