Candy Cab problems.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Ok I always seem to have the weirdest problems with my Cabs..

It's usually the Candy Cab though..

My ongoing delema's...
I started to set all my cabs with the Attract mode off now...Basially they have been that way for several months now.
So all my cabs are set just to show on screen demos with no sound until press start for a game is pressed.
(All cabs are on Freeplay)
They all work fine and I can leave the cabs on all day with no problem.
The sound will work when I want to start a game.

It's just the Candy cab that I sometimes have problems with..
With some games in the cab after say the 7 th demo cycle with Attract mode off I'll try and start a game and I'll get no sound throughout the whole board no matter what game it is that's being selected.

This is the current line up of games that the sound will go out say after 7 demo cycles with Attract mode OFF.

Super Baseball 2020
Shock Troopers 1 & 2
Rage of the Dragons
(no boots)

I'll do a soft reset using the UNI BIOS chip and still no sound. (UNI BIOS version 1.2)
The only way to get the sound back on it to turn off the cab..
Sometimes it doesn't do this...I can make it to the 10 demo cycle choose a game and have sound..

If I leave Attract mode on..the sound does not turn off..
The cab can stay on for hours and the sound will stay on all day..no problem..It only goes out during Attract mode off.

Things I've done.
Cleaned everything,mothboard/carts/Harness/Edge connector.
Tested the voltage on the power supply.
Cleared back Up Memory.
Removed the wires to the Memory Card reader/no change.
Checked the wires to the speakers looking for breaks.
Tested to see if I was getting 12 V voltage from the power supply after the sound went out...Yes,I still have the same amount of voltage I was reading before the sound went out(no change)

I added a Ground to the Cab going to the wall socket since these cabs come with two prong plugs.(afterwards)

I know it's not the mother board.
I've put the mother board in my Big Red and setting it with attract mode off works.
The board works fine in the Big Red.
Also..
I've put my 4 slot motherboard from the Big Red in the Candy cab(US BIOS) and it works fine but I never went as far as letting it sit on to see if the sound would go out with attract mode off ..

Right now!!! my sons playing the Candy cab No problems..Then he chooses Super Baseball 2020.
I start hearing a popping/stuttering coming from the speakers..WHOA!! I run over,turn off the cab and re-inset that cart..
It's ok now..maybe I bumped the cart taking pics of the power supply.

I have the game playing by itself right now just to see if this happens again..(It's fine)

He's my main problem that I have with this cab..
If I CRANK the volume in this cab say up to a past middle and that's fairly loud it's start to stutter..the sound will not go out it'll just stutter and if I lower the volume it'll still be on..

I've taken this mother board out and put it in the big red right after having this problem and Cranked it higher then what I can in the candy and I get no stutter...with the same games in it etc.

This board plays loud in the big red...(evenly)
If take my 4 slot out of the big red and put it in the candy and Crank it.. It'll stutter,even my 1 slot will stutter in this cab.

I think it's the Power Supply.
I've went over my wiring to MVS specs and everything is right..(that I can see)I may be missing something and need to know what to check.
I do have a ground loop wire that sends two grounds to the the two speakers..going into one ground wire at the harness.
I've seperated that and ran two seperate grounds to the Speakers and got no change...I've even added more ground wires to the speakers to the harness..No change.

For some reason the left side speaker seems to sound lower then the right speaker in certain games.
What could be wrong..?
What should I check again to make sure the wires are correct that go to the ground for the speakers.?

I think the speakers may be Crap though they sound fine/no cracking and look still new.

I can get this cab loud ...I just can't CRANK it....It's playing loud right now/loud enough to have to lower it...It's just a nit pick problem that I'd like to figure out..
The way they put the speakers in these Candy Cabs sucks..they are facing to the sides and the sound is going towards the metal outer side to be reflected towards the front...Out of this small space.
If I sit near the sides of the cab it sounds much louder then when sitting in front of it.
I think these Speakers just can't handle it.

Could this Power Supply be at Fault?..Could it be weakening.
Could the 12V on this power supply be dipping at times..?
I don't have a spare..All I have is the big version MVS big re type powr supplies with the fans in them.
One day messing around I wired one in after testing voltage etc.
The cab came on but I got a hum in the speakers so I took it out..(don't know why I got that hum)

The power supply in this candy cab is so small.
I'd like to replace it..
But,I hate buying stuff for nothing..

My main problem is..Where can I get this Power Supply..?
This cab has no ISOLATION Transformer nor AC Line Filter.

Does this can require a special Power Supply..?

I have one of these TOEI Monitors that..I have no clue why it doesn't need an ISOLATION transformer..
Unless it's on it's Chassis.
This monitor has it's own 2 prong AC plug that runs to the 120V on the power supply.

What is it that gives power for the sound..is it the 12V?..What should I check..How does that work..?

Power Supply Says.

SNK 50-525
Input: 85-132VAC..50/60HZ
Output: 5V 1-7A 1.5A 0.5A
NEMCLAMDA ...Made In Japan

2004_0922_181902AA.jpg

2004_0922_180913AA.jpg

2004_0922_180937AA.jpg

2004_0922_181043AA.jpg

The cab has been on for over two hours now and It's still running fine sound and all..volume set a bit high too.

Check the mulex connector for the JAMMA harness to the speakers' harness. Maybe that molex is wearing out after you unplug-replug it so many times testing those rev. 1 hyper 64 boards of yours.

Also, why did you add a Ground to the Cab going to the wall socket? It is my understanding that all candy cabs come with two prong plugs. I do not think that what you did is really necessary as those cabs are well grounded from factory.

You mentioned that you tested the board in your candy with your big red. Did you ever try putting your big red's board into the candy and test it?

Finnally, It does not hurt to replace the speakers.

Charles

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Yea..I checked that Molex..it's fine..

I forget why I actually added a ground wire..
All I did was put think a wire to the screw on the back of the cab that's for a ground wire..that connects to the inside ground wires/power supply... and ran it to the 3rd hole in the surge protector that's for ground..
I didn't change the two prong plug though.
I figure mostly everything else I have in cabs have 3 prongs.. that screw on back is for a ground wire..might as well put it to use..

I spent all afternoon working on the Candy cab..Testing the voltage,checking the wiring,cleaning the motherboards connectors and edge connector.

The only thing I can't understand is the 12V...
In this cab the 12V coming from the power supply is going to the top side of the Jamma harness.. below that is a yellow wire that runs to the credit counter.
12V is only being ran to the top of the harness.
So I test it and I'm only getting a reading from the top for 12V,,that would be pin 6 yes..?
I go check the Big Red..I pull off the harness and I get a 12V reading from the bottom of the harness.not the top..

Does 12V need to be ran from the power supply to 6 & F..?

I just can't understand these manuals..
From the candy cabs manual 12V goes to 6 ....and is crossed to F..F runs only to the credit counter.
In the candy cab 12V goes to 6 only.....F runs to the credit counter/a yellow wire coming from the back of the harness.
So I only have 12V going into 6...on the harness.

I crossed them and it didn't change anything......but should 12V go to 6 & F..?...Should I run 12v to 6 & F

As it looks .I get a 12V voltage from F in the big red.(with harness off)

NOTE: this wiring is all factory..I've never changed anything..

After putting the motherboard back in..I did a sound check..
the left speaker sounds slightly lower then the right speaker.
When I play games however I'm getting stereo sound as I can clearly hear certain sounds coming from the left speaker and certain sounds from the right evenly.
I crank the cab up to just past the middle and it's Loud..
Standing in front of the cab though doesn't sound as loud as if you stand on the side of the cab..
It's the way the speakers are set in the cab..
Shock Troopers 2 is one load game whereas Super Baseball 2020 seems to play lower.
I had to lower the cab for it just was too loud with Shock Troopers 2

I came to the conclusion that the small speakers in the Candy cab just can't handle being Very,very loud..
If I push the volume slide knob to past 3 quarters with a game like Shock Troopers 2 I can hear the distortion as I raise the volume.. if I go further then I get a stutter..
Nothing else is happens during the stutter no change in the game or game on screen.
I figure these stock speakers are just not made to be pushed that hard.

What could I use if I wanted to change them.Not much room in there to get anything different.
If I take the back panel off behind the speakers the sound is much louder..It seems like the speakers need more room..
I was thinking..maybe I could use some insulation to get a deeper sound..(?)..(the may require taking out the bulb)
No big deal..

Listening to the cab today it's sounds fine..It's working great..

I did have the 4 slot from the big red in the candy for awhile and it's plays the same way as the one in it..
Left speaker sounds slightly lower...I think one speaker is slightly weaker then the other..
The next thing I'm going to do is change the speakers around from left to right. and see how they sound..

chris1 said:
Yea..I checked that Molex..it's fine..

I forget why I actually added a ground wire..
All I did was put think a wire to the screw on the back of the cab that's for a ground wire..that connects to the inside ground wires/power supply... and ran it to the 3rd hole in the surge protector that's for ground..
I didn't change the two prong plug though.
I figure mostly everything else I have in cabs have 3 prongs.. that screw on back is for a ground wire..might as well put it to use..

I spent all afternoon working on the Candy cab..Testing the voltage,checking the wiring,cleaning the motherboards connectors and edge connector.

The only thing I can't understand is the 12V...
In this cab the 12V coming from the power supply is going to the top side of the Jamma harness.. below that is a yellow wire that runs to the credit counter.
12V is only being ran to the top of the harness.
So I test it and I'm only getting a reading from the top for 12V,,that would be pin 6 yes..?
I go check the Big Red..I pull off the harness and I get a 12V reading from the bottom of the harness.not the top..

Does 12V need to be ran from the power supply to 6 & F..?

I just can't understand these manuals..
From the candy cabs manual 12V goes to 6 ....and is crossed to F..F runs only to the credit counter.
In the candy cab 12V goes to 6 only.....F runs to the credit counter/a yellow wire coming from the back of the harness.
So I only have 12V going into 6...on the harness.

I crossed them and it didn't change anything......but should 12V go to 6 & F..?...Should I run 12v to 6 & F

As it looks .I get a 12V voltage from F in the big red.(with harness off)

NOTE: this wiring is all factory..I've never changed anything..

After putting the motherboard back in..I did a sound check..
the left speaker sounds slightly lower then the right speaker.
When I play games however I'm getting stereo sound as I can clearly hear certain sounds coming from the left speaker and certain sounds from the right evenly.
I crank the cab up to just past the middle and it's Loud..
Standing in front of the cab though doesn't sound as loud as if you stand on the side of the cab..
It's the way the speakers are set in the cab..
Shock Troopers 2 is one load game whereas Super Baseball 2020 seems to play lower.
I had to lower the cab for it just was too loud with Shock Troopers 2

I came to the conclusion that the small speakers in the Candy cab just can't handle being Very,very loud..
If I push the volume slide knob to past 3 quarters with a game like Shock Troopers 2 I can hear the distortion as I raise the volume.. if I go further then I get a stutter..
Nothing else is happens during the stutter no change in the game or game on screen.
I figure these stock speakers are just not made to be pushed that hard.

What could I use if I wanted to change them.Not much room in there to get anything different.
If I take the back panel off behind the speakers the sound is much louder..It seems like the speakers need more room..
I was thinking..maybe I could use some insulation to get a deeper sound..(?)..(the may require taking out the bulb)
No big deal..

Listening to the cab today it's sounds fine..It's working great..

I did have the 4 slot from the big red in the candy for awhile and it's plays the same way as the one in it..
Left speaker sounds slightly lower...I think one speaker is slightly weaker then the other..
The next thing I'm going to do is change the speakers around from left to right. and see how they sound..

Chris1,

It sounds to me that your speakers are going bad, which would be normal due to their age and constant use. Remember that cab was heavily used in a Japanese arcade before it was exported into the U.S.

To replace the speakers, just make sure that you have the size size (about 4" in Diameter), 8 Ohm, and 5 Watt, and the speakers have to be the shield kind.

Charles

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Charles Franklin Fernandez said:
Chris1,

It sounds to me that your speakers are going bad, which would be normal due to their age and constant use. Remember that cab was heavily used in a Japanese arcade before it was exported into the U.S.

To replace the speakers, just make sure that you have the size size (about 4" in Diameter), 8 Ohm, and 5 Watt, and the speakers have to be the shield kind.

Charles

Thank you Charles...