The SuperGun Repository dead?

ravenmgs

Armored Scrum Object
I have been planning on making a supergun for a while but being the starving college student I am, just didn't have the cash. I recently sold off my EQ account so I think I have enough for the parts and some boards I’ve been wanting for a long time. However, it appears the source of reference I’ve always used "The SuperGun Repository" is down. Is this a temporary thing? There was a link on that site to a super gun builders guide called something like "idiots guide to building a supergun" ect.. I was wondering if any one could tell me where that guide is and if SuperGoose's site is down for good or just a temp thing?

Last edited:

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
Not sure what the deal is with the sgrepository... It isn't loading for me now either and I tried to submit my project back in april and it was never posted/no reply about it received. Tried again a month or two ago, same result. My guess is that gone at least for a while though, maybe for good. Would be a shame if that was the case...

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
I PM'd Todd about a week ago and I haven't heard back from him. I know he is busy with life in general, so no surprise there.

Also supergoose just moved and has been largely unavailable recently too.

My guess is SGR is gone folks. I know Todd (broken) had debated whether or not he should resurrect it at anyways.

And by the way, that "dasfool" site sucks for the most part.
This site is much more concise and complete:
http://chadsarcade.co.uk/oldsite/Supergun/supergunIndex.htm

Perhaps I'll do a walk-through on my site one day, but that day ain't today.

ravenmgs

Armored Scrum Object
Thanks man :D the "Chad's Arcade" guide is really good, I kind of discareted it because of that damn flashing back ground and colors, had to copy it to note pad to read it. Thanks :D

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I've been thinking of doing a guide for both consolization and superguns but I haven't gotten off my but and do it.

I have been avoiding it in part because I wouldn't want anyone without the background (IE, how circuits work, soldering or multi-meter exp.) to get in over thier head and ask a bunch of questions they were not to answer.

Myself, I read up on SG building like mad for about a year before I ever attempted one. Then I still needed help.

I try to avoid refering anyone to a complete how to guide because every need is different. FOr instance I like Chad's but he seems way to anal about some things.

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
The thing about SuperGuns is that there are many many many ways of building them. The basics all revolve around the JAMMA pin-out which is very easy to find. Basically, it's just common sense from there. I don't understand why so many people think there is a secret to building them. Literally, you hook +5V to the +5V pins, ground to the ground pins, video to the video pins, Up to the up pin, etc.

What is the difficulty? It's not the PSU since even my wife can tell you it's a Jameco SC200 for most needs. And the DB-15 ports are available from anywhere. Everyone knows about JROK encoders.

So what is it? Mainly, I think it's the fear of not knowing. Seriously, if you were to get all the parts and just look at them and a JAMMA pinout, you could easily figure it out. Honestly folks, the main reasons to have someone else do it are:
- equipment
- trouble getting all the components together (and for a reasonable price)
- how pretty it looks

I have no problem answering questions as is the case with most of the folks here. But it's the misconception that we're keeping secrets that drives me nuts!

/vent mode off

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
D-Lite said:
The thing about SuperGuns is that there are many many many ways of building them. The basics all revolve around the JAMMA pin-out which is very easy to find. Basically, it's just common sense from there. I don't understand why so many people think there is a secret to building them. Literally, you hook +5V to the +5V pins, ground to the ground pins, video to the video pins, Up to the up pin, etc.

What is the difficulty? It's not the PSU since even my wife can tell you it's a Jameco SC200 for most needs. And the DB-15 ports are available from anywhere. Everyone knows about JROK encoders.

So what is it? Mainly, I think it's the fear of not knowing. Seriously, if you were to get all the parts and just look at them and a JAMMA pinout, you could easily figure it out. Honestly folks, the main reasons to have someone else do it are:
- equipment
- trouble getting all the components together (and for a reasonable price)
- how pretty it looks

I have no problem answering questions as is the case with most of the folks here. But it's the misconception that we're keeping secrets that drives me nuts!

/vent mode off

Still, that first time you boot a board on the very first SG you made is quite magical......

Once you get the understanding of how everythin works, it really takes the magic out of the whole thing. My fist sg and frakenstick are shit compared to some of the stuff I do now, But at the time i was more satisfied with my first than i ever have with anything since.